10.18.2015

Assignment #2

This week's assignment is do so hme dictionary work from Oxford Advance Learner Dictionary from a conversation between two men doing a haircut in "Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab" a conversation called "Just A Hair Cut Please !"

1.beautician (noun)

 a person, usually a woman, whose job is to give beauty treatments to the face and body
The beautician mess up the customer's hair in the conversation of "Just A Hair Cut Please".

2.butchered (verb)

To cut without care 

I  tried to cut my fringe with scissors and without looking at a mirror, and I really butchered it badly and it looks like a dog bites it.

3.in good hands ( idiom )

in competent or safe care
I know the children are in good hands when they are under my care. 


4.lean back (verb)

to move the body backwards and down,
When the barber wants to cut the hair that grows on the top of the neck they will ask the customer to lean back.

5. voila  (exclamation)

an expression to indicate satisfied completion
When I say to my girlfriend "voila! here is your new hair style" she hit me in the shoulder. I wonder why she did that for.

1 comment:

  1. Neat. But why not add a parentheses when indicating part of speech or when giving further information of a key words. It will be easier to read.
    e.g. beautician (noun); lean back (verb); voila (exclamation)

    ReplyDelete